How to Manually Update to iOS 5.1.1 on iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch
Though the Apple has made firmware update process very simple and with over the air support you don’t need to download entire 700+ MB of firmware file. However all those new iOS device owner might not be comfortable with firmware update process and wondering how to manually update to recently released iOS 5.1.1 firmware. For those users here is our complete step by step guide on how to update to iOS 5.1.1.
There are two methods of update to iOS 5.1.1, one is via over the air update. This is fairly simple process and doesn’t take much time. To update your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad via OTA update follow these steps.
Method 1 : How to Update to iOS 5.1.1 via over the air update (Only if you are on iOS 5.x)
1. Launch Settings app from springboard
2. Now go to General and tap on software update
3. And wait for system to check for new updates
4. Once you see new iOS 5.1.1 update available, tap on download & Install and let it download and install iOS 5.1.1 on your iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad.
Do make sure you have your iOS device fully charged to avoid accidental switch off due to batter low problem.
If you don’t have wifi access and looking for how to manually update iOS 5.1.1 then follow below steps
Method 2 : Manual Method Via iTunes
2. Now connect your iOS device to PC/Mac
3. Start iTunes and from devices list select your iOS device
4. at this stage you can either click on check for update or update button let iTunes download firmware file for you and perform the iOS 5.1.1 upgrade
5. or you can press Shift+ Update button on Windows and Option + Update button on Mac and browse and select iOS 5.1.1 IPSW file downloaded in Step 1,
6. That’s it wait for iTunes to complete update process, it may take some time and your iOS device will reboot several time.
That’s it, now enjoy your newly update iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad on iOS 5.1.1.