How to Manually Update to iOS 5.1 on iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad
Since iOS 5.0 Apple has introduced over the air update which makes the firmware updating task on iOS devices very easy and you do not need to download 700 MB+ of data just to update the firmware. However for over the air update you need to be connected to wifi and it doesn’t work over 3G. Also it won’t work if you got shaky wifi connection.
If you are new to Apple iOS device and recently bought iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad and wondering how to update to recently launched iOS 5.1 firmware here we are with step by step tutorial on how to do over the air update,
How to Update to iOS 5.1 via over the air update
1. Launch Settings app from springboard
2. Now go to General and tap on software update
3. And wait for system to check for new updates
4. Once you see new iOS 5.1 update available, tap on download & Install and let it download and install iOS 5.1 on your iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad.
Do make sure you have your iOS device fully charged to avoid accidental switch off due to batter low problem.
If you don’t have wifi access and looking for how to manually update iOS 5.1 then follow below steps
2. Now connect your iOS device to PC/Mac
3. Start iTunes and from devices list select your iOS device
4. at this stage you can either click on check for update or update button let iTunes download firmware file for you and perform the iOS 5.1 upgrade
5. or you can press Shift+ Update button on Windows and Option + Update button on Mac and browse and select iOS 5.1 IPSW file downloaded in Step 1,
6. That’s it wait for iTunes to complete update process, it may take some time and your iOS device wil reboot several time.
That’s it, now enjoy your newly update iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad on iOS 5.1.