How to Untethered Jailbreak iOS 6.1.1 Beta on iPhone 4/3GS and iPod Touch 4G
Yesterday Apple had seeded the iOS 6.1.1 with major enhancements to Apple maps for Japan to the developers. Though initially it was thought that the iOS 6.1.1 release is meant to block the Evasi0n jailbreak released few days back, capable of untethered jailbreaking iOS 6.x on iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.
But later it was confirmed from Evad3rs Muclenerd and Pod2G that iOS 6.1.1 beta doesn’t fix the exploits used in Evasi0n jailbreak tool, however until the public release of iOS 6.1.1 Apple may fix the untethered exploit. So it is advisable that at any cost do not update to iOS 6.1.1 beta or final release when it comes.
On side note, you can still untethered jailbreak iOS 6.1.1 beta on iOS devices i.e iPhone 4 3GS, iPod Touch 4G. Unfortunately the procedure is not as simple as you might think since the Evasi0n only supports iOS 6.0/6.0.1/6.0.2/6.1 firmware.
This method will only work for A4 devices as Redsn0w tethered jailbreak which uses limera1n bootrom exploit is not available for A5 and A5X devices.
Also if you are not a registered iOS developer then you won’t be able to upgrade to iOS 6.1.1 beta as you need to have UDID registered with Apple.
If you know what you are going then you may proceed with following guide to untethered jailbreak iOS 6.1.1 on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 4G. Keep in mind this guide in only applicable for iOS 6.1.1 beta.
The guide gets the tethered iOS 6.1.1 jailbreak using Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 and then using Evasi0n debian package you need to get the untethered iOS 6.1.1 jailbreak for your device.
How to Tethered Jailbreak iOS 6.1.1 on iPhone 4/3GS and iPod Touch 4G
5. Update your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad to iOS 6.1.1 beta
6. Now start Redsn0w 0.9.15b3
7. Click on Extras and then Select IPSW
8. Now browse and select iOS 6.0 firmware file
9. Click on Open and click on OK button on the firmware build information displayed by Redsn0w.
10. Now click back button and press jailbreak button
11. Let redsn0w prepare for jailbreak data
12. On the options screen make sure to check Install Cydia option and click on next button
13. Connect your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad to PC/Mac and turn off the device.
14. Click on Next and follow on screen instructions to put device in DFU mode.
a. Press and hold Power Button and Home button for 10 seconds
b. Release Power button while continue to hold Home button for 15 seconds
12. Once your iOS device is in DFU Mode, Redsn0w will start exploiting and uploading ramdisk and continue for jailbreak process.
13. A message will be displayed that this is tethered jailbreak and you will need to tethered boot every time you reboot your device.
14. Once your iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 4G reboots, your device will be jailbroken on iOS 6.1 however, you won’t see Cydia after the jailbreak process until you tethered boot using Redsn0w.
To tethered boot follow below step by step guide.
How to Tethered Boot Using Redsn0w 0.9.15b3
1. Start Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 and click on Extras button
2. Click on Select IPSW option and browse and select iOS 6.0 firmware file.
3. Click on Open and Redsn0w will identify the firmware build
4. Click Ok on build information
5. Click on Just Boot option.
6. Now connect your iOS device to PC/Mac and turn off
7. Follow on screen instructions to put your device in DFU mode.
8. Once your iOS device is in DFU mode, Redsn0w will start exploiting your device and pwnapple logo will be displayed on your iOS device.
9. Once your iPhone/iPod Touch reboots you will have Cydia installed.
Now up to this you have tethered iOS 6.1.1 jailbreak, the next steps are to convert this tethered iOS 6.1.1 beta jailbreak to untethered jailbreak.
Converting Tethered Jailbreak to Untethered iOS 6.1.1 Jailbreak
1. Start Cydia (if it crashes or not visible that means you haven’t tethered boot using Redsn0w, check above tethered boot steps).
2. Now use Search option browse and install iFile.
3. Now start iFile you just installed and navigate to System/Library/CoreServices.
4. Now scroll down and locate SystemVersion.plist file and open in text viewer
5. You need to locate the string 6.1.1, tap on edit button and change that to 6.1. Now click on save button.
6. Now you must tethered boot your iPhone/iPod Touch using Redsn0w for changes toke effect.
7. Once you tethered boot all you need to do is install evasi0n debian package from Cydia, search for evasion 6.0-6.1 untether and click on install button.
8. Now reboot your device for evasi0n to complete post installation procedure. (No need to tethered boot now as jailbreak is already converted to untethered iOS 6.1.1 jailbreak)
9. Now you may revert back to iOS 6.1.1 version in SystemVersion.plit file using same steps.
That’s it now enjoy your untethered jailbroken iOS 6.1.1 beta on iPhone 4/ 3GS iPod Touch 4G.
If you like this article then do consider clicking on +1 button.