How to Tethered Jailbreak iOS 6.1 on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 4G
Even though untethered iOS 6.1 jailbreak will be released on superbowl Sunday, we know that many of you won’t be able to wait till that time and will be looking for the way to jailbreak iOS 6.1 right now. We have already covered how to update to iOS 6.1 guide and now here is our step by step guide on how to jailbreak iOS 6.1.
Before we guide few things you must know,
1. This is tethered jailbreak, meaning every time you reboot your device you will need to tethered boot using Redsn0w
2. Only supports A4 devices such as iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod Touch 4G
3. If you rely on software unlock, Ultrasn0w then stop right here and do not proceed with this guide.
Proceed only if you understand above points.
Video Guide to Tethered Jailbreak iOS 6.1
How to Jailbreak iOS 6.1 (Tethered)
1. Make sure to take back up of your device before update to iOS 6.1
2. Now use this guide to update to iOS 6.1 using iTunes.
3. Now start Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 (run as administrator mode for Windows)
4. Click on Extras button and then press select IPSW option
5. Now browse and select iOS 6.0 IPSW firmware file downloaded previously
6. Click on Open and click on OK button on the firmware build information displayed by Redsn0w.
7. Now click on back button and press jailbreak button
8. At this stage redsn0w 0.9.15b3 will prepare for jailbreak data
9. Now Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 will display options, make sure to check Install Cydia option and other options you would like to have and click Next button.
10. Connect your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad to PC/Mac and turn off the device.
11. Click on Next and follow on screen instructions to put device in DFU mode.
a. Press and hold Power Button and Home button for 10 seconds
b. Release Power button while continue to hold Home button for 15 seconds
12. Once your iOS device is in DFU Mode, Redsn0w will start exploiting and uploading ramdisk and continue for jailbreak process.
13. A message will be displayed that this is tethered jailbreak and you will need to tethered boot every time you reboot your device.
14. Once your iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 4G reboots, your device will be jailbroken on iOS 6.1 however, you won’t see Cydia after the jailbreak process until you tethered boot using Redsn0w.
To tethered boot follow below step by step guide.
How to Tethered Boot After iOS 6.1 Jailbreak
1. Start Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 and click on Extras button
2. Click on Select IPSW option and browse and select iOS 6.0 firmware file.
3. Click on Open and Redsn0w will identify the firmware build
4. Click Ok on build information
5. Click on Just Boot option.
6. Now connect your iOS device to PC/Mac and turn off
7. Follow on screen instructions to put your device in DFU mode.
8. Once your iOS device is in DFU mode, Redsn0w will start exploiting your device and pwnapple logo will be displayed on your iOS device.
9. Once your iPhone/iPod Touch reboots you will have Cydia installed.
That’s it . Now enjoy your newly jailbroken iPhone 4, 3GS on iOS 6.1 and iPod Touch 4G on iOS 6.1. Unlockers do no update to iOS 6.1.
If you like this article then do consider clicking on +1 button and other social sharing options