How to Update to iOS 6.1 on iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
Now that iOS 6.1 final is released and available for download, many users would be wondering how they can safely update to iOS 6.1. Also since the untethered iOS 6.1 jailbreak is ready and will be released on Superbowl Sunday. Most existing thing is iOS 6.1 jailbreak will support all twenty two devices that can run iOS 6.1.
iPhone dev team have signaled users that they may go ahead and start updating to iOS 6.1 however, not to do over the air update and go for manual iTunes method. The reason behind this is as follow,
If you don’t care about jailbreak then you may go ahead with OTA update. Below is the step by step guide on how to update to iOS 6.1 on iPhojne, iPod Touch and iPad.
iOS 6.1 update is available for following devices
iPhone 5, 4S, 4, 3GS
iPad 2, 3, The New iPad, iPad Mini
iPod Touch 4G, 5G
Video Guide on How to Update to iOS 6.1
How to Update to iOS 6.1
Method 1: Manual Update
This method requires you to download iOS 6.1 IPSW file before proceeding for the update.
2. Now connect your iOS device to PC or Mac via charging cable
3. Start iTunes and click on your device from top navigation menu.
4. Now click on Backup Up Now and take complete backup (Your personal data will be lost in this update method, so you must take backup)
5. Now press Shift Key and click on Update button on PC, press Option key and click on Update on Mac OS
6. Now browse and select iOS 6.1 IPSW file you have download in step 1.
7. That’s it, now wait for iTunes to complete the rest of the update process, it may take some time and do not unplug your device during the update process.
Once your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad reboots, you may restore back your data.
Method 2: Over The Air Method
This method is simple and requires you to be connected to good wifi network or 3G network, we recommend you to follow manual method whenever possible
Note: If you have jailbroken your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad then you will not be able to update to iOS 6.1 via over the air update.
1. Open to settings app on your iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad,
2. Now access General-> Software Update and wait for it to check for new firmware update, you will get a push notification of new updates available for download.
3. Tap on download and install button
4. Click on agree on terms and conditions
5. Now your iOS device will start downloading iOS 6, make sure you are connected to good network
6. Once it finishes downloading your will be asked to agree terms and conditions, click agree and let update process begin.
7. Now wait for update process to complete, your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad may boot few times during this update process.
Do make sure to backup SHSH blobs for your iOS 6.1 firmware via TinyUmrella
If you like this article then do consider hitting +1 button and other social sharing options.